Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin: Pumpkin Bread with Whiskey

Well, Hello!
It is that wonderful time of year when the leaves change to yellow, red, and orange, and the night air becomes crisp. It is also the season of pumpkins, and oh, how I love pumpkins. There is a charming little church that sells pumpkins in my town (as they have done for as long as I can remember). The baking pumpkins at the church are cheap and the selection is plentiful, which is the perfect excuse to bake all things pumpkiney. Either use fresh pumpkin (as I did), frozen pumpkin from last season, or canned pumpkin. In this entry I will share the recipe for Pumpkin bread with whiskey sauce. Enjoy~


Cooking a Pumpkin 
- Cut the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds and goo (technical term).
- Place the pumpkin inside-down on a baking sheet and bake in the oven at 350 degrees F until soft. By "soft" I mean a fork should be easily poked into the pumpkin. 
- Once cooled slightly, scoop the delicious pumpkin meat out of its now-squishy shell and use in whatever way you desire.


Pumpkin bread with whiskey sauce

Pumpkin Bread
2 eggs beaten
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
2 tablespoons ground flax
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pureed pumpkin


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter whatever pan you choose to use. I used one medium loaf and two small ones, but this recipe would also work for muffins (cooking time 25 min.) or one large loaf (cooking time 45 min.). 
- Combine eggs, oil, honey, and vanilla in a bowl, set aside. 
- Use a large bowl and mix flour, flax, spices, and baking powder and soda.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients, stir until jut mixed. Stir in pumpkin.
- Pour batter into desired pan.


Whiskey Sauce
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water
3 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup bourbon


Begin this process with a saucepan.
- Over medium heat, bring cream to a boil.
- In a separate bowl whisk water and cornstarch together, then add to cream while whisking continuously.
- Allow to simmer for a few minutes, whisking all the while to avoid burning. 
- Remove from heat and stir in sugar and bourbon.
- Cool to room temperature before use.



-Credit-
 Bread recipe adapted from a recipe in "Rodale's Basic Natural Foods Cookbook"
Sauce recipe found online, credit given to "Commander's Palace Restaurant"


I will continue the pumpkin journey with the Pumpkin cupcakes with chocolate-chips and cinnamon icing recipe in my next post.


Tata for now,
L. Mousse



3 comments:

  1. MOUSSSSE! I love you I love you I love you I love you, and I want whisky sauce, holy crap.
    <3 This sounds delicious. I'll sent pictures of my school stuff soon, and recipes if'n you wanna play.
    <3 Can I just say, once again, that I love you like the blazes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That plate is really pretty too, by the way. I like the glaze...
    <3 pie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks incredible! Great presentation on the icing and plating. I've only ever used flax seeds in chocolate chip cookies as far as baking goes (I've found that their oily viscosity helps add moistness and chewiness). But I have most of those ingredients except of course pumpkin and whiskey, so I might have to try this soon and settle for a regular powdered sugar frosting.. I've been wanting more Fall treats!

    ReplyDelete